Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

  1. #41
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    Thats how I've always understood the rule, the way others were explaining it made no sense at all. I hope this thread shows why basketball officiating is for the most part horrible in this area.

  2. #42
    Inactive Member imported_aoaofficial's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2003
    Posts
    119
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    A1 is the person throwing the ball in. In basketball we don't call them A55 or A12 like we do in football. A1 through A5 are the players on the floor and A6 and up will be the players on the bench.

  3. #43
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    That is what I was figuring, and it makes since.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #44
    Inactive Member imported_Rocket Scientist's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's how I've always understood the rule, the way others were explaining it made no sense at all. I hope this thread shows why basketball officiating is for the most part horrible in this area. </div></div>
    PVFAN, your insults towards the officials show that YOU have NO CLUE regarding the rules of basketball. You can not back up a single thing you say with a valid rule interpretation. I sincerely doubt that you have ever seen a rule book. Why don't you get off your butt, put on a shirt and whistle, and enlighten the rest of us as to your vast knowledge of the game. I am assuming that you are capable of running and thinking at the same time. Officials have a better understanding of the rules than you do and I will guarantee they had a better look at anything you say they missed. This area has some of the best officials in the state, if you don't like them, do us all a favor and stay home on game night. The refs, players, and people sitting near you will greatly appreciate it.

  5. #45
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Albert E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That’s how I've always understood the rule, the way others were explaining it made no sense at all. I hope this thread shows why basketball officiating is for the most part horrible in this area. </div></div>
    PVFAN, your insults towards the officials show that YOU have NO CLUE regarding the rules of basketball. You can not back up a single thing you say with a valid rule interpretation. I sincerely doubt that you have ever seen a rule book. Why don't you get off your butt, put on a shirt and whistle, and enlighten the rest of us as to your vast knowledge of the game. I am assuming that you are capable of running and thinking at the same time. Officials have a better understanding of the rules than you do and I will guarantee they had a better look at anything you say they missed. This area has some of the best officials in the state, if you don't like them, do us all a favor and stay home on game night. The refs, players, and people sitting near you will greatly appreciate it.
    </div></div>

    Whatever happened to free speech?

    Also...last I checked refs around here got paid to do games by the schools...and the money from the ticket sales goes to the schools...so that means some money goes to the refs straight from the fans. The only ones in the gym making money during that point in time. I think that gives fans a right to be critical, especially if they follow the game rather closely and know a lot about it.

    Sure--a rule book would help in interpretive situations like on this thread--but there's a lot of these "best officials in the state" in this area that don't know what a walk is, what a charge is, and apply the rules unevenly on a nightly basis. Even a layman can see that.

    When you're not making money at it and doing it out of the goodness of your own heart, I'll buy your defensive holier-than-thou stance. Til then, take those tiny violins elsewhere.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  6. #46
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slobber Knocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Something else....if a dribbler is bigger, stronger, and faster than the defender and he is approaching or going in for a lay-up..outside the paint..the defender hand checks him (or rides him), I usually will not call that. I just let the offensive guy make the lay up. If you blow the whistle outside as he is making the approach to the goal, you have given the defender the edge by blowing the whistle and stoping a potential two points. It is better to let the offensive man have the points than let them have the ball out of bounds.</div></div>

    So, you will "be there to enforce the rules", but only if they make sense to you in the given situation. Interesting. Kind of knocks you off that high & mighty refs pedestal you were balancing on.

    If I were a coach, I'd rather you call it and let my kid go to the line and hit his free throws, and get the team fouls up on my opponent and the personal fouls up on the defender. I'll take my chances on scoring off the inbounds, you just have to call it as it is. I'd much rather get the ball back or hit free throws while the opponent's foul total goes up than 2 points off a layup and a no-call. </div></div>
    Here Ab, is a great example of why it is so hard to coach a game in this area. Are we gonna play for the "warning" or go for the whole "foul" or should we just put a big guy out there and hope to get the lay-up , when he doesn't call the foul 'cause the defender is smaller? See my (and Cane's)point? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

  7. #47
    Inactive Member imported_aoaofficial's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2003
    Posts
    119
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    My mistake on th ealternating possession. The arrow does change when the throw in ends and the throw in team will not lose the arrow on a foul by either team. I didn't have my book with me when I answered earlier and looked it up later today.

  8. #48
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    Albert, I looked in the rulebook today and it clearly states the arrow is moved when the ball is touched legally in bounds or there is a violation. If you'd like to continue to say this wrong please open teh Basketball Rules Book where this is clearly stated.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  9. #49
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    For further clairifcation please Check rule 6.4.5
    The opportunity to make an alternating-possession throw-in is lost if the throw-in team violates. Or Team A violated so they loose the arrow.
    Case book 9.2.8

    Again, officials in this area get on the internet and argue rules they are clearly wrong on. Speaks very highly for the quality of officials in this area. To the officals who do a great job I hope you can teach some of these guys the rules.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  10. #50
    Inactive Member imported_aoaofficial's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2003
    Posts
    119
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I Got One For You For-Basketball-Change of Possession

    I wasn't arguing, I was just trying to clear things up. I shouldn't have posted anything until I was 100% sure. I am sorry.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •